Sunday, January 06, 2008

Energy Saving Advice

Just in case you thought energy saving light bulbs were safe, then why does the public sector demand that a room be evacuated in the event one breaks?

It gives a whole new meaning to "going green" and do make sure that you have the appropriate emergency breathing apparatus in the house, just in case. You can find some good Russian surplus models on eBay.

Now just imagine what might happen when some bored teenager decides to start throwing these around for fun or a 'wannabe' Bin Laden mixes a few bulbs with the recipe for home made explosive from the internet?

I'm not convinced the Department of Energy have thought the benefits through as clearly as they should.

Even worse, I've just spotted that the bulb on my desk light is one of these but at least I've scuba gear in the attic and rubber gloves in the kitchen if it goes "bang."

7 comments:

anon again! said...

anon again!

As with most other things in Britain, the warning comes too late,
and is probably circulated by the makers of the traditional old wasteful bulbs, in an effort to disgrace the public opinion and belief that they are helping to save energy. Possibly, the same sort of problem occurred when the electric light bulb took over from gas lighting.
Stick a Public Warning on the bulbs stating everything that needs to be known.

ZumiWeb said...

Am I missing something, or are the low energy bulbs curently available all too low-powered? plenty of 11w and 14w which replace 40w and 60w bulbs, but our lounge and kitchen need 150w in the single centre light for both visual comfort and (in the kitchen at least) for safety. But it's these larger ones that are now not being manufactured and will start to vanish from the shops in the next few weeks and months.

Replacing each with half a dozen sidelights or downlighters will cost a fortune and change the way we use the rooms (and possibly add up to higher energy consumption), which I resent a little, although we're happy to change all the other bulbs in the house.

Rewiring and buying new hardware (lamps and downlighters)) doesn't seem very ecofriendly or make economic sense (hence my panic/sensible purchase of a dozen 150w bulbs in Wilkinsons yesterday).


And certainly some simple labelling on safe dispoal would help - but then most of us still chuck old batteries in the bin, so there's a long way to go in terms of user education and industry information...

Anonymous said...

As soon as mercury is mentioned, panic! The liquid metal mercury has been in our houses in the past in clinical glass thermometers and barometers without a fuss. The compound methyl mercury is much nastier. It does beg the question that if these are so nasty when they break, should they even be in houses?
Or is this just HSE over the top nonsense that now pervades every aspect of our lives?

bob ellender said...

YET ANOTHER SCAREMONGERING STORY.

on the bbc a few days ago a professor of poisons stated that you would have to break 15 bulbs in one small area to have any health impact everyday lightbulbs also contain mercury but that has never be brought up and even upto a few years ago fillings for teeth even contained mercury. How many people own a thermometer and break them every day/week/year????????

Anonymous said...

If Thor Chemical's overseas record (subject of court actions) has also occurred in Thanet. IE Mercury contamination of the environment. Perhaps you would be better to make checking that out a priority ?

Rather than the theoretical risk from a light bulb breakage.

Perhaps it is only Thanet where there can be a warehoues fire of fire retardant chemicals ?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if that guy, who wrote the story about a rising viagra dust hazard, has the gift of prophecy ? He did explain that the story was an allegory.

A few days later and aircraft were flying over a rising undesired emission from a Thanet factory (the Thor fire).

Anonymous said...

whatever we do now is too late carry on regardless