The local election materials should be printed today - at last - which give a quick "blurb" on what prospective and sitting councillors would like to do for their wards.
From what I've been reading, there's a danger of it all sounding like the wait for a grand general election manifesto, when instead, it involves a more modest but rewarding role in working to improve conditions for everyone in the local community at often the most basic level, such as wheelie bins.
The strict rules of an election, I understand, prevent me form writing anything like a manifesto online, so I'm compiling a "wish list" for Westgate, regardless of who wins in the local elections. Here's as good a place as any for Westgate residents to note down or discuss, what they would like to see in improvements with help from their elected representatives after May.
Money is of course a fundamental challenge in funding any new initiatives in Thanet but if you don't make a bid for what might be available, then you won't see much in the way of change.
Here are some of my own ideas for improvement but I'm happy to be directed by others:
* St Mildred's Bay toilets need to re-painted. At present they are an eyesore to any visitors.
* We need a pedestrian crossing on Westgate Bay Ave, preferably near the surgery to allow the elderly to cross safely and also school children as the road is increasingly a busy "rat run" in the morning for traffic avoiding the Canterbury road.
* Zero tolerance to beach litter in the summer months. The council made some great improvements last summer but we need more rubbish bins available and collected during the hot weekends.
* Security and anti-social behaviour in the village. What can be achieved on top of what is being done now to make less prone to vandalism in the evenings?
* The Community centre, can money be found for improvements?
* Wheelie bins and rubbish collections. It's a hot topic and will become hotter still as the temperature warms.
I could go on and I'm bound to miss issues that concern others, so please add any you can think of.