The activities are all taking place under the Engage banner, which has been established by the Engaging Youth Forum, part of the Thanet Community Safety Partnership, which works to make Thanet a safer place to live, work and visit.
The programme of events has been designed to give young people a range of things to do over the summer, helping to keep them out of trouble, and has also been designed in response to local peoples’ views who wanted to see more activities for teenagers. The activities in the Engage programme are provided by a range of different organisations, including Thanet Council, Kent Youth Services, Pie Factory Music, Sport 4 NRG, Hang 10, Pipeline and the Thanet Coast Project.
- Amongst the activities planned for this summer are:
- Sports activities, including cricket, rugby, basketball, ten pin bowling, football
- Seashore safaris around the area’s coastline
- An inter-estate mixed football tournament in Newington
- Carnival workshops
- Music workshops, including African drumming, guitar lessons, DJ-ing and making and playing instruments
- Beginners music workshop at the Broadstairs Folk Week
- Football with Charlton Athletic at the Summer Slam in Hartsdown Park
- A range of sports activities for those with disabilities, put on by TADSAD
- Theatre summer schools at Theatre Royal
- Lark in the Park, offering ten days of family fun at Government Acre in Ramsgate.
Cllr. Ingrid Spencer, Cabinet Member for Housing and Community, said: “We’ve listened to what people have told us. They wanted to see more activities for teenagers and that’s exactly what we’re delivering this summer. There’s a superb line up of activities over the next few weeks. Whether your interest is in sports, music, the coastline or theatre, there’s something for everyone during the school holidays. There should be no excuse for being bored with the varied programme that Engage has on offer for young people. And it couldn’t be easier to find out more – with information available at every secondary school and online.”
A website http://www.engage.eu.comwww.engage.eu.com%20has been set up to promote all the activities that will be available this summer. If any organisation that works with young people would like a copy of the leaflet, please contact the Thanet Community Safety Partnership on 01843 577 647.