Some news just in from one of our readers “The Chalk Face”. Can anyone independently substantiate or confirm the contents of his story; pretty earth-shattering if even partially accurate. The emphasis here is firmly on “discussed” and not “proposed”. He writes:
“You may be interested to hear that a recent meeting was held between the heads of Ellington, Hereson, Chatham House and Clarendon Schools. Some interesting points were apparently discussed including:
* Ellington new school to just be the start of a huge new education centre to be called 'Thanet Campus' which will certainly absorb Hereson and possibly the two grammar schools over the next few years. 2400+ pupils?
* Education consortiums to be created to split the secondary schools into four areas with the following working together.
1. The Thanet Campus as above. Thanet SE
2. Marlow Academy to take in the sixth forms from the two grammar schools. Called Thanet SW.
3. St George's, (photo) Charles Dickens and Dane Court as a consortium called Thanet NE
4. King Ethelberts, Ursuline and Hartsdown as a consortium called Thanet NW
* Ursuline College to lose it's sports college status (to the Thanet Campus?). Sports coaches to be laid off over next twelve months. Sports fields planning turned down, sports hall too expensive. Specialist status of all others to be examined for merger.
* Closure of schools (Ellington, Hereson, Chatham House) and sale of the land to help finance the above (Prime sites, prime prices, prime house building?)
At some stage the staff and governors of these schools may be consulted. As for the parents, well they will just have to put up with Centralised Education!”